Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pico De Gallo

I’m one of those people who buys the same brand name products every week. I’m very particular with what brand of cottage cheese I like, or what frozen vegetables are best…. HECK, even what shredded cheese is best. I think this brand obsession comes from years of watching my mom and Rob's mom buy the same thing every single week. BUT, for some reason when Rob requests salsa I buy a different brand every.single.time.

We’ve tried so many salsas.. but none of them were great. You know the salsa you get in an awesome Mexican restaurant? It turns out you can’t buy those in the grocery store. And only recently did I think about actually trying to make one myself..

After trying 1,000 (exaggeration) salsas we have a pretty good idea of what we like. We like chunky salsa. Spicy.. but not too spicy. We like vinegar based salsas (who knew?). I’ve combined all of our must haves and I think I have a HIT. And it was so, so, SO easy.


Try it and let me know what you think.



Meghan’s Pico De Gallo
Makes 3 cups of salsa (approximately)

6 ripe roma** tomatoes, diced
2 BIG jalepenos or 3 regular sized ones, diced (most seeds removed)
3 cloves of garlic, minced finely
½ of a big white onion, or one whole small onion, diced small
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

**I prefer roma tomatoes (the long, skinny kind) because they have less seeds and make for a heartier salsa in my opinon. Feel free to use whatever tomato you like instead.

Combine all of the ingredients and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Taste before serving.. you might find you want more cayenne (more heat) or more vinegar depending on how you like your salsa. If you’re sensitive and you DON’T like hot salsa, I would suggest leaving out the cayenne and slowly sprinkling it in until it meets your taste. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment