Friday, March 23, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

If you don’t have a crock pot, we can’t be friends. Actually, we can still be friends but let me know if you don’t have one so I can buy you one for your birthday. You need one.

Crock-potting has changed my life. Working from home is great, but believe it or not I STILL don’t have time to prepare a fabulous meal every night. I love my crock pot and use it for literally anything possible. One step cooking and one step cleaning! Could it be any better?

I’m typically not very adventurous when it comes to pulled pork. I buy a pork butt, I put it in the crock pot with some water and a few spices, and when it’s done I shred it and smother it in Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. My husband likes it, and I tolerate it. It’s nothing special but it works.

WELL, last week I got an AWESOME deal on a 4lb pork butt so I decided to play around with my recipe a bit and spice things up (both literally and figuratively). What resulted was the most delicious pulled pork I have EVER had. Spicy, vinegary and just divine. You have to try this. Either tonight, or after your birthday when I buy you a crock pot.

**Disclaimer: Only make this recipe if you want a few days of leftovers or if you're feeding a crowd. We ate pulled pork for 8 days...... We had it on salads at lunch, in tacos AND with fried eggs. It was delicious on everything, but figured I'd warn you anyway :)





Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Adapted from Williams & Sonoma PP recipe
Serves Way Too Many

4 lb. boneless pork shoulder (or pork butt), cut into 4 pieces
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup tomato ketchup
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp red pepper flakes (only 1 1/2 tsp if you're worried about spice)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Soft sandwich rolls for serving

Place all 4 pieces of pork in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Then, make your sauce! Heat vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt & pepper in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently. The mixture will begin to bubble and thicken slightly.

Pour the sauce over the pork. Cover and cook your pork on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 4-5 hours). Check on it every few hours and spoon sauce over the pork to keep in nice & moist.

Transfer the pork pieces from the crock pot to a plate or bowl. Using two forks, shred each piece of pork, and make sure to remove and throw away any large pieces of fat. Skim the excess fat off the top of the sauce in your crock pot, and then return the pulled pork to the crock pot and stir to combine. Let the pork sit in the sauce for a half hour to soak up all of the deliciousness. Serve the pork on sandwich rolls. Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment