Sunday, April 1, 2012

Guinness Shepherd's Pie

Maybe it’s the lack of Irish in me.. but I’m two weeks late to the St. Patrick’s Day party. Whoops! In all honesty, I had full intentions of cooking a delish Irish meal for some friends on St. Patricks Day.. but I got lazy and plans fell through. We ended up dining at an incredible little place in Downtown Charleston called Cru CafĂ©, so all was not lost.

Yep, you read it correctly. I have red (auburn) hair but I am NOT Irish. NOPE, not even a tiny little bit. In fact, 3 of my 4 grandparents can trace their lineage directly to the Mayflower. I’m 13 generations removed from Bradford, Brewster and Carver. No Irish at all. Not sure where this red (auburn) hair came from.

Can you tell I hate when people tell me I have red hair?

(it’s auburn…). 

Our unobserved Irish holiday (and a few extra cans of Guinness in the fridge) gave me the perfect excuse to experiment with one of my childhood favs, Shepherd’s Pie. Mmmmm I love Shepherd’s Pie. However, when I was growing up my mom’s Shepherd’s Pie was a lot more simple: Ground beef (usually turkey, actually), a layer of corn, and a layer of leftover potatoes. I’d smother it in garlic powder while the rest of the family enjoyed it bland. Guess I’ve always been a spice lover.

This recipe puts my mama’s to shame. (Sorry, Mom).



Guinness Shepherd's Pie
Adapted from beautifullyrooted.com
Serves 6

Mashed potato top:
1 1/2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sour cream
Salt and pepper

Meat filling:
2 tablespoons olive oil for your pan
6 medium carrots, chopped
1 cup red onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, miced
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoons ketchup
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cup Guinness beer
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
Salt
Pepper

Cut your potatoes into medium sized, uniform chunks. Place them in a pot and cover them with water. The water should only cover the tops of the potato chunks about a half inch. Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. Remove, drain, and mash your potatoes. Add the milk, butter, sour cream and some salt & pepper to your mashed potatoes. Continue to mash until smooth. Taste frequently (both for your enjoyment and to check flavor). Set aside.

Saute the carrots, onions, and garlic with a few tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Saute for 5-10 minutes until onions are translucent and carrots begin to soften. 

Add the ground beef to the vegetable mixture and cook through. Then, add peas and corn and cook for a minute or so.

Sprinkle the flour over the top of the meat mixture. Stir. Then, add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, and beer. Add more salt and pepper as needed. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the liquid thickens and resembles a thick gravy.

Put the meat filling in an 11x7 inch Pyrex pan or round baker. Carefully spread the potatoes over the meat filling. Place your pan on a baking sheet (it WILL bubble over and cake to the bottom of your oven if you aren’t careful) and cook at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before eating.. unless you've developed a tolerance for eating molten lava. 

Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment